Friday, February 24, 2012

CELCO - SQL For Smarties 2005 Ed.

Joe,
Kudos to you on a job well done. Will be adding your 2005 edition to my
personal SQL book library as well as a recommended SQL book for others.
JerryHurricane Celko...
I just purchased the "Joe Celko's SQL for Smarties: Advanced SQL
Programming."
Yosh
"Jerry Spivey" <jspivey@.vestas-awt.com> wrote in message
news:%23EZc5v5zFHA.2912@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Joe,
> Kudos to you on a job well done. Will be adding your 2005 edition to my
> personal SQL book library as well as a recommended SQL book for others.
> Jerry
>|||I notice its still not been updated to the current ANSI 99 standard and is
16 years old now (ANSI 89).
Whilst it contains some good fundementals there are better books that taylor
to Microsoft SQL Server rather than a standard that isn't commonly used in
the wider community on a day to day basis.
Ken Henderson and Itzik Ben Gan have both done some really excellant
advanced t-SQL books that have immediate use to you as a SQL Server
developer/dba.
My 2 cents.
Tony Rogerson
SQL Server MVP
http://sqlserverfaq.com - free video tutorials
"Jerry Spivey" <jspivey@.vestas-awt.com> wrote in message
news:%23EZc5v5zFHA.2912@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Joe,
> Kudos to you on a job well done. Will be adding your 2005 edition to my
> personal SQL book library as well as a recommended SQL book for others.
> Jerry
>|||On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 19:15:24 -0700, "Jerry Spivey"
<jspivey@.vestas-awt.com> wrote:

>Joe,
>Kudos to you on a job well done. Will be adding your 2005 edition to my
>personal SQL book library as well as a recommended SQL book for others.
>Jerry
Jerry,
A basic question or two.
If you don't have the book already in your library how can you be sure
it's a job well done?
What do you think its strengths are? How relevant, for example, is
(what seems to be) a generic SQL book to a T-SQL context?
I am not sniping simply asking for clarification to better understand
the basis for your assessment.
Thanks.
Andrew Watt
MVP - InfoPath|||howd you get SQL into a packet of smarties anyway...?
"Jerry Spivey" wrote:

> Joe,
> Kudos to you on a job well done. Will be adding your 2005 edition to my
> personal SQL book library as well as a recommended SQL book for others.
> Jerry
>
>|||Tony,
Yes...Ken's book is one of the best and I like Itzik's as well. Would put
Ken and Kalen's as two of the top SQL Server books available.
Jerry
"Tony Rogerson" <tonyrogerson@.sqlserverfaq.com> wrote in message
news:ubORBL9zFHA.2076@.TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>I notice its still not been updated to the current ANSI 99 standard and is
>16 years old now (ANSI 89).
> Whilst it contains some good fundementals there are better books that
> taylor to Microsoft SQL Server rather than a standard that isn't commonly
> used in the wider community on a day to day basis.
> Ken Henderson and Itzik Ben Gan have both done some really excellant
> advanced t-SQL books that have immediate use to you as a SQL Server
> developer/dba.
> My 2 cents.
> --
> Tony Rogerson
> SQL Server MVP
> http://sqlserverfaq.com - free video tutorials
>
> "Jerry Spivey" <jspivey@.vestas-awt.com> wrote in message
> news:%23EZc5v5zFHA.2912@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>|||Hi Andrew,
I own about 40+ SQL/SQL Server books and I've taught SQL Server for 7 years.
I base my book recommendations on content, ease of readability and
relevancy. I do own Joe's 1999 edition. In fact I was just going through
it when I stopped by the book store and happend to notice his 2005 edition.
I was impressed with the additional content (coverage and examples). In
fact the book has increased in size by over 250 pages. While personally I
believe Ken and Kalen's books are the two best SQL Server books on the
market I feel Joe's book is one of the top SQL books on the market.
HTH
Jerry
"Andrew Watt [MVP - InfoPath]" <SVGDeveloper@.aol.com> wrote in message
news:7mask1toptlh9gsqqmbqr5vrg9vmpmaun0@.
4ax.com...
> On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 19:15:24 -0700, "Jerry Spivey"
> <jspivey@.vestas-awt.com> wrote:
>
> Jerry,
> A basic question or two.
> If you don't have the book already in your library how can you be sure
> it's a job well done?
> What do you think its strengths are? How relevant, for example, is
> (what seems to be) a generic SQL book to a T-SQL context?
> I am not sniping simply asking for clarification to better understand
> the basis for your assessment.
> Thanks.
> Andrew Watt
> MVP - InfoPath

No comments:

Post a Comment