Sunday, March 25, 2012

Change existing application to use sqlncli

I have a large application that currently uses SQLOLEDB as the provider.
The application needs to connect to SQL 7 thru SQL 2005.
I have tested changing the provider to SQLNCLI and everything still seems to
work.
I have a couple of questions ..
1) Is it really this easy ?
2) Can I still connect to SQL 7 and SQL 2000 using SQLNCLI ?
3) Are there any negative impacts to using SQLNCLI ?
Thanks.
The whole idea behind SQLNCLI is to provide updated capability to existing
ADO classic (COM-based) applications. I understand that it's supposed to
work with older versions, but if history is any teacher, I would thoroughly
test before betting my socks on it. See
http://blogs.msdn.com/dataaccess/archive/2005/07/29/445147.aspx for more
info.
Frankly, I would think (hard) about migrating to ADO.NET and the SqlClient
provider that can reach all current (and future?) versions of SQL
Server--and a lot faster with fewer surprises.
____________________________________
William (Bill) Vaughn
Author, Mentor, Consultant
Microsoft MVP
INETA Speaker
www.betav.com/blog/billva
www.betav.com
Please reply only to the newsgroup so that others can benefit.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
__________________________________
Visit www.hitchhikerguides.net to get more information on my latest book:
Hitchhiker's Guide to Visual Studio and SQL Server (7th Edition)
and Hitchhiker's Guide to SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition (EBook)
------
"Michael Tissington" <mtissington@.newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
news:OOhR4DSXHHA.1636@.TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>I have a large application that currently uses SQLOLEDB as the provider.
> The application needs to connect to SQL 7 thru SQL 2005.
> I have tested changing the provider to SQLNCLI and everything still seems
> to work.
> I have a couple of questions ..
> 1) Is it really this easy ?
> 2) Can I still connect to SQL 7 and SQL 2000 using SQLNCLI ?
> 3) Are there any negative impacts to using SQLNCLI ?
> Thanks.
>
|||Hi ,
How is everything going? Please feel free to let me know if you need any
assistance.
Sincerely,
Wei Lu
Microsoft Online Community Support
==================================================
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
==================================================
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment